This is a fast project (hour or less) with impressive results!
Inspired by this shirt from Baby Gap:
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 solid t-shirt or turtleneck (I got mine at Wal-mart for $2.00)
- Scrap pink fabric
- red thread (sulky preferred because it adds a little bit of shine)
- batting scraps
- sewing machine
- Step 1: Cut out the bottom of the cupcake.
To make the cupcake liner shape, I measured 3″ for the bottom and 4″ for the top
– cut 2 pieces of pink, and 1 piece of batting.
sketch a few lines on one piece of the pink – to imitate the folds of a liner.
- Step 2: Sandwich the batting in between the two pieces of pink.
Sew along the lines you drew like this:
When you’re finished it will look like this:
- Step 3: Pin it to the top layer of the shirt
topstitch around the perimeter of the cupcake – be sure to only sew through the top layer of the shirt!
- Step 4: Now it’s time to make the rosettes that comprise the cupcake icing. Find 5 strips of pink fabric (about 1 1/2″ wide) – I used some light pink and some medium pink because that is what I had.
- Step 5: You can make the rosettes anyway you like – hand sew them or machine sew them.
I chose to machine sew them
– it gives it a little different look, but I was feeling too lazy to get out the needle and thread 🙂
If you want to machine sew them, start a little spiral:
and sew back and forth across it – kind of in a little star pattern.
You will need to make 1 large rosette and 4 small ones.
- Step 6: When you have made all 5, pin them onto the front of the shirt,
then top stitch them on – follow the lines created when you made the rosettes.
- Step 7: Cut out 2 little hearts out of pink fabric, and 1 little heart out of batting.
Sandwich the batting in between the 2 hearts.
Pin it to the shirt:
Top stitch around the edge of the heart.
Put it on your little sweetie and give her a kiss!!
have a great weekend!