Janie and Jack is a lovely Children’s clothing store. I always love to go in and browse when I visit Orlando. Of course, like everything else I like, it is very expensive. Sometimes you can find a good sale, but I often want what is in season now. This year they have the cutest Halloween collection. I really loved this little t-shirt ($28).
Appliqued felt pumpkins with the caption “cutest in the patch” embroidered beneath. So cute! So the other day as I was organizing Char’s closet, I stumbled across a plain white t-shirt, and I was inspired.
The one I made is girly, like the original, but I think with a few minor adjustments it could be made for a little boy too. If you’d like to make one for your little one – here’s the tutorial!
- a long-sleeved white t-shirt
- orange felt
- green felt
- black embroidery floss
- water-soluble fabric pen
- paper and pencil
- Step 1: Draw a sketch of the pumpkins, or print mine out here.
- Step 2: Cut out your paper patterns and trace them onto the correct colors of felt.
- Step 3: Cut out the felt pumpkins.
- Step 4: Thread a needle with 3 strands of black embroidery floss. You are going to embroider the “inside” detailing of the pumpkins – the lines and the jack-o-lantern face.
- Step 5: Pin the pumpkins to the t-shirt. I focused on centering the jack-o-lantern and then arranged the other two around it.
- Step 6: Embroider around the pumpkins and stems/leaves. Don’t forget to add the curly vines. It WILL look handmade – but that’s okay. The Janie and Jack one was made in a factory somewhere – yours is unique and made with loving hands 🙂
- Step 7: Write the caption under the pumpkins with a fabric pen.
- Step 8: Thread your needle with 2 strands of black embroidery floss and follow your letters, embroidering the phrase.
- Step 9: Rinse the fabric pen off and Ta-Da!! You’re all set!