Stitch the pretty Mediterranean-style towel in a traditional grapevine design in earthy tones using both cross stitch and counted thread techniques – the towel is enhanced with optional drawn thread bands and a self-fabric fringe.
The materials list below is enough to make two towels, or for a table runner having the bands at each short end.
Materials to Be Used in the Free Grapes Hand Embroidery
- 1/2 yard 18-count linen Zweigart “Cork” fabric in “dirty linen.”
- All-purpose thread to match fabric.
- 3 skeins of DMC 642 Dark Beige Gray.
How to Do Grapes Hand Embroidery?
- Cut the fabric into two equal size sections measuring 18 x 22”. Using the all-purpose thread, hem the two long sides and one short side of each piece by folding under 1/4 twice and hand-stitching in place.
- Remove a crosswise thread from the fabric 2 inches from the un-hemmed edge. Referring to the instructions, work hemstitching (a counted thread technique) along this gap. Remove the threads below the hemstitching to fringe.
- Remove 5 crosswise threads above the hemstitching, Work the serpentine hem-stitch along this gap to make a band. Repeat 4 inches from the hemstitched band.
- Work the grapes design, centering it along the 4-inch band in the towel using 2 strands of floss in the needle and working over two threads in the fabric.